The purpose of this document is to assist participating organizations and healthcare professionals notify and inform their patients/clients about their participation in Connie, Connecticut’s Health Information Exchange.
What is Connie and why is it needed?
- Connie is Connecticut’s official Health Information Exchange (HIE). An HIE is a safe, confidential way of sharing health information electronically among doctors’ offices, hospitals, labs, radiology centers, and other healthcare organizations.
- The system in which we store information about the care we provide you is not always connected to the systems used by your other healthcare providers.
- Using Connie allows us to access health information from all your healthcare providers before determining your care plan. This permits us to deliver safer and more efficient care.
- Providers already share your health records via fax, email, and physical mail. Connie allows this information to be securely shared electronically with your healthcare professionals.
What health record is available through Connie?
- Your health record includes demographic information and details about your health care visits, prescription medicines, allergies, lab test and results, and more.
What are the benefits of having a health record available through Connie?
- Connie helps your healthcare providers work together to make informed decisions about your care, especially in the case of an emergency and across different organizations.
- In emergency situations where you may be unable to provide information, Connie enables nurses or physicians to quickly view your medical history to take note of allergies or medical conditions that may affect your treatment. Your primary care physician would also be notified if you have been recently admitted to the hospital to provide any follow-up support.
- Other benefits may include fewer mistakes, fewer repeat tests, less paperwork, lower costs, and better-quality care. You can learn more at www.conniect.org/for-patients/
Is your health record private and secure?
- Only those involved in your healthcare can look at your record.
- Connie uses advanced security measures to keep your healthcare data private and secure. These measures include consistent system checks, state-of-the-art monitoring tools, and next-generation audit capabilities.
- Information is encrypted and sent over private and secure computer connections.
What are your choices for participating in Connie?
- Your participation in Connie is not required; you are not required to share your health information with Connie.
- Connie’s opt-out form should only be completed if you DO NOT want to share ANY of your health information with any of your healthcare providers through Connie.
- If you do not sign this form, your health information, such as your visits, active conditions, allergies, pharmacy prescription history or lab and test results, will be made available to all of your healthcare providers using Connie.
- For more information, see the “Choice Chart” below.